Zumba has become a popular dance and cardio activity in the past few years. It is a fun and engaging way to exercise without getting bored. It can be so much fun that it might not even feel like exercise. Zumba dance classes are offered to people of all ages, ranging from young children to the older generation. Zumba involves dancing to upbeat, fast-paced music. It is a preferred and enjoyable cardio exercise for people.
Of course when you are exercising or working out, you want to make sure that you have the right active wear. Having and wearing the right shoes makes all the difference in both your comfort and ability when being active. Zumba shoes should possess certain qualities and characteristics to make sure that you spent your money well and that you get what you paid for.
The Best Shoes For A Workout
A quality pair of Zumba shoes should be:breathable, comfortable, lightweight, and stable/supportable. Your Zumba shoes should also be worth whatever they may cost. A pair of good Zumba shoes should be let your feet breath as you work out; they shouldn’t restrain you or be too tight where you can’t move. They should definitely be comfortable since you’ll be on your feet for at least half an hour!
You also want your Zumba shoes to be lightweight for two reasons: 1) so that when you’re picking your feet up off the ground, you don’t feel like you’ve got a cinder block attached to your foot, and 2) when you leave from work or from a day of running errands, they’re not an extra burden. As with any shoe aficionado, you want to make sure that your shoes are made out of quality material. You definitely want your Zumba shoes to last you as long as possible.
With any kind of active footwear, there is going to be a selection of different shoes that you can choose from. Companies make a wide range of different shoes depending on different needs or characteristics—from what kind of support the person needs to even the color combination. With a large selection, there will come competition between different brands for your money and customer loyalty. They will be advertising all different kinds of perks or special qualities that their shoes may possess.
The Top Brands
There are a few bestseller brands that are acclaimed and credited with being reliable Zumba shoes. These brands include Nike, Ryka, New Balance, Bloch, and the Zumba company themselves.
Nike is probably the most popular and well known manufacturer of athletic shoes and active wear. Nike has been around for a while—known for their “Just Do It” slogan to encourage people to exercise and workout more. The company has been a huge success since 1964, and now owns other big name brands like Converse and Hurley.
Ryka is centered and aimed at manufacturing and selling their products to women. Their tagline, after all, is “A Woman Only Sports Company.” This is an advantage because they will specialize on just the woman’s body. In fact, they get into scientific detail when they discuss their woman-specialized products.
New Balance products are also probably one of the more well-known brands like Nike. The company has been around much longer than Nike and has been serving customers for over 100 years. The company boasts how they are a good mix of functionality and looking fashionable and will always manufacture their products in the United States.
Bloch is a brand that specializes in just dance footwear and active wear, and they have been since 1932. This could definitely be an advantage because they know the different types of dance genres there are. A brand that specializes on dancing footwear and active wear will know how the feet move and what will support and be the most comfortable for the dancer.
Finally, there is the Zumba line themselves. They offer and have their own line of Zumba dancing specialized shoes. The company should know how to design their shoes since they also choreograph and organize the dance routines!
Dance Shoes For Fitness Classes
That brings us to why and what people use Zumba shoes for. While it may seem obvious and that it is a given that one of the main uses for the specialized shoes are for Zumba classes—people may use them for other reasons as well.
There is no reason why even though they are called Zumba shoes that they can’t be used for other purposes as well! Some shoes can be used for cross training and other high-intensity cardio training. If you are unfamiliar with what either cross training or high intensity training is, it is when a person trains in more than one sport at a time to improve in their main or preferred sport. High intensity training (you may see it abbreviated as HIT on gym equipment or online) is a form of strength training.
Zumba shoes could also just be used as regular old fitness or active wear shoes at the gym or for a jog. In addition, people may enjoy Zumba shoes because they are a comfortable pair of sneakers that they can wear all throughout the day during their busy lives and schedules.
To help a customer interested in buying a pair or two of Zumba shoes, below I will be reviewing eight different pairs manufactured and made by the five companies I talked about above. I will discuss the pros to each pair of shoes as well as paraphrase some actual customer reviews.
Following are the top 8 best Zumba shoes for 2016:
Ryka Women’s Dynamic 2 Cross Training Shoe
1. The first pair of shoes I will be talking about are from Ryka, called the “Women’s Dynamic 2 Cross-Training Shoe.” On Amazon, the shoes range from $42.00-$82.29. These shoes are an update to a previous model, and according to the company have made major improvements. There is more support (that can also be adjusted) and has “breathable mesh” that keeps your feet from overheating. There is also a cushion for your soles to keep your comfortable while you move.
The average customer rating was a 4.3/5 stars. Customers rave how they would definitely buy the shoes again. Customers even shared how they were perfect for Zumba classes.
Ryka Women’s Influence Cross Training Shoe
2. The next pair of shoes are also from Ryka: the “Women’s Influence Cross Training Shoe.” These range from about $39 to an even $100. Their Influence type shoes have something called “Flex-Foil” that helps to support your feet while you move. There is a strong arch support and a cushy foam midsole to keep you comfy, along with a pivot point to help keep your movements natural.
This pair had a slightly lower rating of 4.1/5 stars. Customers recount how their Zumba instructors recommended this pair and love them, while others claim that there needs to be way more cushioning and that the foot padding had thinned out on them.
Nike “Women’s Flex 2015 Run Running Shoe”
3. Nike’s “Women’s Flex 2015 Run Running Shoe” ranges from almost $57 to an even $250 depending on your size and what color scheme you pick. Made out of lightweight mesh, there is also a “webbing system” that helps keep your feet comfortable and able to breath. The shoe is also cushiony and “articulated flex grooves” that allow your movements to be natural and comfortable.
Nike’s shoe gets an average rating of 4.5/5 stars on Amazon. 80% of customers reported that their shoes fit as expected and was a good shoe for running. Customers also said that they really didn’t provide all that much support.
Bloch “Women’s Boost Dance Sneaker”
4. Bloch’s “Women’s Boost Dance Sneaker” comes at a cheaper price, ranging from $54 to about $76. The shoe is made from a lightweight mesh so it’s comfortable and has a split sole that ensures flexibility and a good fit.
These were given an average rating of 4.1/5 stars. Only 57% of customers however reported that the shoes had a true fit to them. Reviews claim that there’s great cushion to these shoes, but support? Not so much.
Bloch Lightening Sneaker S0924
5. The next sure is also from Bloch—their Lightening Sneaker S0924 at almost $59. This a high performance dance shoe that has a lightweight multilayer sole that acts as a shock absorber. There are also pads to help the user maintain control and balance.
The one customer review was a 4/5 stars. They advised anyone who buys these shoes to size up half a size. Otherwise, they were satisfied with the product.
Ryka Women’s Downbeat Aerobics Shoe
6. Going back to Ryka, they produce the “Women’s Downbeat Aerobics Shoe.” This shoe is currently unavailable on both Amazon and Ryka’s own website. Advertised as a shoe that was made for the gym as well as going out on the streets, it is lightweight and provides a good cushion and heel support. To ensure comfort and fit for the user, it comes with an adjustable strap.
Customer rave how these shoes are perfect for Zumba, as well as aerobics, and was given a positive 4.3/5 star rating. Other customers, however, say that there was little cushioning to keep them comfortable while they moved.
Zumba Women’s Z1 Dance Shoe
7. Zumba’s brand includes their “Women’s Z1 Dance Shoe.” Currently, it is unavailable on both Amazon and Zumba’s website. The company claims that the shoes are lightweight and features two pivot points to help you move more easily.
The shoes were given a 4.3/5 star rating on Amazon with customers saying that there really wasn’t that much support, but were very comfortable and indeed lightweight.
Zumba Women’s Flex Classic Sneaker
8. Zumba also comes with their “Women’s Flex Classic Sneaker.” This sneaker’s price ranges from about $69 to an even $90 and are “dance ready.” They’re flexible and supports the user’s arch and balance.
These Zumba brand shoes were given a slightly lower rating than the shoe mentioned before. Customer reported that only 64% of their shoes had an actual true to size fit. Some customers say that these are the best shoes they’ve ever had for Zumba, while others write how they were painful to wear.
Choosing what Zumba shoe you’ll purchase can be a difficult task. You want to make sure that you are paying for a quality shoe that is comfortable, lightweight, breathable, and be able to support you. Consider your options for your footwear and good luck!
Check out the Zumba class in the video below!